Yorktown Youth Soccer Club
Athlete & Parent Code of Conduct
Participation in Yorktown Youth Club should be a privilege and be looked upon by coaches, athletes and parents as such. Each member of YYSC should exhibit good sportsmanship in his/her actions at all times on and off the field.
Athletes are not allowed to participate in any of the following activities:
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No consumption of drugs, chewing tobacco or smoking material of any kind.
- No fraternizing with coaches.
- No profanity towards coaches, referees, opponents or members of their club.
- No disrespectful behavior of any kind to coaches, director, team members or opponents.
At all times, athletes, coaches and parents are expected to act in a first class manner and dress appropriately keeping in mind they are a member of a team and should act with high moral and social standards while representing Yorktown Youth Soccer Club. Display good sportsmanship and respect towards competitors, parents and event staff at all times.
Players, coaches and parents should familiarize themselves with general knowledge the rules and regulations of their players sport.
Players, parents and coaches are responsible for leaving all facilities, including practice facilities, in clean condition. Coolers will not be allowed in the facilities in which we play.
The director reserves the right to add rules as a situation demands.
Be a first class parent on and off the field of play. Support your coach, team and player. At all times, be a supportive parent. We need a positive commitment from coaches, players and parents.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
• Caring, and
• Good Citizenship.
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical wellbeing of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
The consequences for violation of this agreement are at the sole discretion of the club, but include:
- Individual suspension of increasing time periods
- Family suspension of increasing time periods
- Individual indefinite suspension
- Family indefinite suspension
- Individual permanent ban
- Family permanent ban
- Legal Action
I have read all of the above expectations of athlete and parent involvement in Yorktown Youth Soccer and agree to abide by the requirements to the best of my ability.
Athlete Signature: _______________________________________ Date: _______
Parent Signature: _______________________________________Date: ________